Thursday, August 25, 2011

No treatment on the weekend! 8/21-24/11

   I feel pretty good today(Sunday). Beth brought me some hot chocolate this morning, and it seemed to agree with me pretty well. We are being fairly conscientious with regard to the intake of calories. Here at the homestretch is no time to lose sight of the little things that keep me able to stay in the race. My voice is much stronger in the morning. I actually knocked out a Happy Birthday to my niece Maura, age 22. When I spoke to her later in the morning, my voice was stronger than hers.

   I had some friends over yesterday, and they cleaned my garage. They wanted to help,  they had been really consistent about wanting to participate. They like the way it feels to be of service to others. They like the "bump" they get when they give service. I know the feeling. I'm grateful for their insistence, and grateful for my ability to allow them to participate. Lucinda Williams – Are You Alright?

   Some emotional up, and downs this week. I've been so focussed on getting through treatment that I haven't given much serious thought to what happens next? Do I just sit around and wonder if they got rid of the cancer? Is there a special blood test? Who takes out the feeding tube? What about this handy port? How about a PET scan? Does anybody want 5 cases of (out of network) supplement? I have a ton of questions. Hopefully this week will bring some answers. My head swims with questions.Johnny Cash – Cry Cry Cry

   The medical oncologist seemed optimistic, he'll see me September 19, and will order a pet scan for some time in November. He will also send a request to have the feeding tube removed. The radiation oncologist will monitor me monthly, and I will continue to get blood tested weekly. They both assured me that I will probably feel crappy for the next few months. I can begin tapering off the pain killers within the next 3 weeks.Joe Strummer – Redemption Song

   I just need to make it through 2 more radiation treatments, the rest will take care of itself. How do I know if they got it all? Am I in remission? Is it(the cancer) in remission? I feel crappy today, does that count towards the next few weeks? There seem to be more questions, than answers. I think I will try to stay in the moment, and not get too far ahead, or behind.
Thanks for everything.
Let's Go!
TJH

No comments:

Post a Comment