Thursday, August 4, 2011

Eat Through the Pain! 8/4/11

   I saw the medical oncologist this morning to evaluate my progress. He seemed to think that things were progressing as expected. My throat is sore all the time, and I don't even want to attempt to swallow. This morning I had my normally delicious, and nutritious Ensure Plus. It went down like glass mixed with sand. Now I am a solutions oriented person, and know that the feeding tube will keep me nourished without duress to my delicate esophagus. Always good to have a plan B. Not so fast thar BaBaLouis!

   The Doctor suggested that I "eat through the pain for as long as possible". Great idea, eat through the pain, no problem. I already feel the burn. I could get this advise at the gym. What happens if I just bypass the pain and use the handy feeding tube which is conveniently located just above my naval? If you stop swallowing too soon your throat may become dependent on the tube, and have difficulty remembering how to swallow. My throat will have difficulty remembering how to swallow? How much difficulty? You don't want to find out.

   Sounds ominous. I don't want to be feeding tube dependent. Do they have rehabs for feeding tube dependency? I could go to one in the Caribbean for about a month after treatment. So he suggested that I try to numb the mouth, and throat with a lydocaine maalox cocktail. Eat through the pain! Feel the burn! Maalox, and Lydocaine, really, who concocts these cocktails?Rupert Holmes – Escape (The Pina Colada Song)

   The MaalDocaine Martini was below average. I swirled it around in my throat, and then swallowed. Tasted like something created by a dentist. Lousy taste, lousy consistency, and numbs the shit out of every thing it touches(temporarily).

   I must admit that my weight loss efforts have never been so successful. I saw what looked like the outline of a rib this morning. I was wrong, but hope springs eternal. I walked on the treadmill the other day for 20 minutes, and ended up winded after traveling 1 mile. The balancing of nutrition, and exercise has never been my strong-suit. I was more of a diet, Or exercise guru. Sweet – Love Is Like Oxygen
   My buddy O'B is here from Jersey, and I'm worried about being an adequate host. I need to shake that thinking, and be grateful for his presence. I won't be heading to the ballgame, or doing any hiking, but I have friends who would be delighted to entertain on my behalf.

  Here's todays playlist on August 4th in honor of my dear friend Howard Pohlenz. Thank you neighbor!
  Johnny Cash – Sunday Morning Coming Down
Linda Ronstadt – Desperado
Carpenters – Sing
Jerry Jeff Walker – Up Against The Wall, Redneck - Live (Dallas, TX)
Prince & The Revolution – Purple Rain
– Journey - Don't Stop Believing

No comments:

Post a Comment