Sunday, July 31, 2011

They are carpet bombing my throat 7/30/11

   As I am feeling a little bit better, I will let you in on some insights I received just this week. The Radiation Oncologist described the first 5 weeks of radiation as carpet bombing my throat. OK I can understand that the radiation therapy may not be as exacting in the early stages, but...Carpet Bombing?

   The strategic laser guided treatments start week 5. They get much more exacting after they have thinned the forest. During the first 5 weeks the general bombarding is designed to get at the general area where the cancer was located. It also exposes the areas where the cancer is likely to return. Once the areas have been defoliated they can accurately target the danger spots. The Erbitux is a targeted antibody. They inject this chemical into my system, and it locates cancer cells. Once the cells have been located, the Erbitux attaches to the cancer cells, and self destructs. Just like tiny little suicide bombers.

Sorry for all of the references to mass destruction, but it is kinda what's going on.

   There was a guy in the office this week who looked as if his head was literally going to explode off his head like a big tomato. He was beet red and incredibly swollen. He had just come downstairs from the Erbitux(medical oncology) office. I tried not to cringe in front of him. When I saw the Doctor in the back, I asked him about Mr. Tomato Head. "Oh he's had some reaction to the Erbitux". Some reaction? My God; is that going to happen to me? "Oh no he's a week behind you on the treatment schedule". If my head had blown up to those proportions, I may have skipped a couple of treatments. I guess the side effects I am experiencing are pretty moderate.

   The professionals have been pretty good about explaining the potential side effects, and some problems to anticipate. "Your throat is going to stop working for a period of time." No problem, I've got a feeding tube, and I'm not afraid to use it. I can wrap my head around the process, and fully understand that difficulty swallowing is in my future. I have a sore throat 24hrs/day, no problem. Food doesn't taste very good anyway, no problem. I can handle it.

   Last night at 2:07am I was sound asleep, no problem. You may not be aware of it, but we swallow while we are asleep. It's kind of an involuntary normal process. No need to worry, it just happens naturally. Has been happening for 53 years, until 2:07am last night. Not being able to swallow will wake you up immediately, and freak you right out.

    The terror passes. Breathe. I swirl some Biotene, gargle a little baking soda/salt water, and finally get some water flowing down my throat. I am really amused by my lack of composure when side effects manifest themselves. The fear that gets me is temporary, and has nothing to do with my long term mortality. It has everything to do with the immediate absence of faith.

   I've got some out of town talent rolling into Phoenix this week. Kenny O'B, fresh off a one week stay on LBI is bringing his talents to The Valley. We are looking forward to him visiting, I just hope he leaves the pipes, and kilts in NJ.




4 more Erbitux infusions
21 more radiation treatments
Let's Go!
Enjoy todays musical feast!
TJH

Jimi Hendrix – All Along The Watchtower
Dan Fogelberg – Part Of The Plan
Something Corporate – I Woke Up In A Car
Social Distortion – Reach For The Sky
Chopin – Polonaise In A Flat, Op. 53, "Herioc"

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting updates... Doug and I were hanging out last night viewing the carnage of Pam's 18th, and spent some time talking and expressing concern for you & Beth. you are in our prayers and I'll check back frequently. my take is that Doug makes a great driver, albeit a slow one.

    ReplyDelete