Thursday, July 7, 2011

Girdles & Haboobs 7/7/11

   The main trouble post surgery's is sleep. The anesthesia messes w/ your sleep, the tubes hanging out your gullet are not conducive to sleep. There is the normal terror that hinders sleep. You get half asleep and you feel a gentle, but disturbing tug on your feeding tube. It has a mind of its own. It really wants to be ripped out in the middle of the night emptying stomach content. I sleep in a tasteful short sleeve button down, to keep my feeding tube from tying itself to my hand, and spontaneously unplugging. The button down does not like the neck and shoulder.

   The main culprit remains the neck dissection. All those nerves had to be lifted, and cleaned during the surgery. That's all well and good, however when they put them back, they should have re-synched them with my central nervous system. I have screaming pins & needles from above my left haboob over the back of my shoulder, and up from mid left tricep through my throat, left jawline, above my ear, into my scalp. No problem, except when you gently touch my left shoulder there is a tendency for me to leap out of my skin. I asked the Doc....Aayy what's up Doc? "Your neurological adjustment period should take about 2 years." "There may be some permanent nerve damage, but it should be minimal". 2 years, that seems like a really long time. Is there anything I can do say between now and 2 years from now to minimize the effect? There are some medications for seizures that they have found are having some positive mitigating effects. That's all I need, an anti seizure med that also may help nerve health. I'm just not ready for trial offers. Let's see how bad it gets. I'm a solution oriented guy. We head to Walgreens.

   I had my first full uninterrupted night of sleep last night. I picked up an ace bandage that fits around my abdomen, covering, and securing the feeding tube. It velcro's in place, just under the aforementioned haboobs. It goes nowhere near my neck. It is a girdle, and I love it.

   Went back to the lawyer w/ Beth today, being of sound mind & body. We scratched out some legal concerns, plopped some stuff in the trust, and went to lunch at Durant's on Central. I used to think that most of this stuff was unimportant, but I was wrong. I must admit that my motivation for getting the estate in order was probably fear. If something(God forbid) were to happen to me, I would want Beth to be very sad. If I left my stuff disorganized, and tornado-like, Beth would be sad and angry. I don't mind people being sad, but I would hate to leave them angry.

   No fresh music today, but I did receive a new cd in the mail today from a dear family member. I am going to download it as soon as I finish this drivel. The cd is titled "Zamru Ladonai". I'll sample it and forward a selection or two.

See you around the campus,
Love,
TJH

No comments:

Post a Comment