Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Of course I feel fine...Honey I need to lay down 7/12/11

Monday,Not a cloud in the sky, let's do this thing. Radiation machine needs to be re-calibrated, no problem, let's get me some Erbitux. Sure I can handle a double, what do you think I am a lightweight? No problem go ahead and access my port. Sure some benadryl is fine. Three hours of Erbitux seems a little excessive, but if this is protocol, I'm game. I'll just listen to the classical selection in my ipod. Beth is reading her Kindle, and checking to make sure that I am still breathing. I guess I nodded off. The good news is that I did not manifest any of those awful side effects. Never read too far into the side effects section.

We finished the Erbitux w/ out incident, and went about our day. Got the call on the bat phone that the radiator was working, and would I still want a test drive. Would I? Please. This is what I have been preparing for my entire life. I am ready. Let's heat this mother up. Lay quietly for 20 minutes, no problem, but you have got to get rid of the country music, clearly a deal-breaker. They finally acquiesced. I think they are getting the hang of this. Did my 20 minutes and was released back into the wild.

I should have suspected something was amiss, when on the way home I had a craving for hummus, and pita. Radiation, and Erbitux have some subtle signs that I need to be vigilant in my awareness. Day one is a tricky day. Made it home without incident, sat down for an uplifting blogfest, and got hammered. The bus was not a bus it was a bulldozer, and it drove right over my optimistic ass. I mumbled to Beth that I think I might want to lay down for a little nap at 5pm. I woke up at 6am, not knowing who I was, or where I came from. My legs were gone, and I wanted no part of any further daily treatments.

Day 2 was welcomed w/ a groggy knowledge that I was expected at radiation at 9am, then 2 Doctors appointments at 9:45, and 11:30. Who schedules this stuff? The Gods were smiling. The radiation machine was on the fritz again, and the 11:30 was rescheduled. I think someone found a way to sabotage the radiator. Good for them. If I could get the 9:45 to cancel, it would be like hitting the lottery.

Beth is awake, and I give her the good news. She immediately goes to some drastic plan B. We had 2 doctors appointments by 11am, came home had a bite to eat, and the blooming bat phone rang again. Guess what we have an opening, can you be here in 10 minutes? Of course, this is what I live for, where is my mouthpiece? The classical music was playing when I entered the vault. We(the techs) had some adjustments to make with my positioning. While I was attached to the table like Gulliver, these guys decided to draw on me like I was passed out at a frat party. I've got some permanent magic marker on my throat and neck. I know it's permanent, because of the contact high from the fumes. They are explaining that this is normal, and do I feel any discomfort? My head is bolted to this table, and I have a mouthpiece in which really prevents any discernible conversation. I tell them that I would prefer that they not mark on my body, that I have made it 53 years w/out the need to be tattooed. I know that the machine if working properly would not require this type of savagery. They hear ngthy plshh dggr, and assure me that this is OK.

I was released back into the wild at about 1:30 feeling somewhat soiled, but there was a sense of survival. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Had a great night w/ Beth and friends. Too numerous to mention. Thank's for the phone calls and emails, and I would like to prominently mention Daniel Silas Miller.

Thanks again,
TJH

Today's Playlist:





No comments:

Post a Comment