Thursday, July 14, 2011

Current Events 7/14/11

I have been somewhat self-centered in my recent writings, and have ignored for the most part many important current events. Women's Soccer, Debt Ceiling, Casey Anthony, All Star Game, NFL Labor Negotiations, Emmy Nominations, Harry F..ing Potter(if you're going to write 8 books about good vs. evil shouldn't there be more death? Kill some muggles or something, Jeesh), Netflix price increase(just got it last week(timing)), Betty Ford, The Running of the Bulls, and the Space Shuttle.

Enough with that stuff, what about me? Isn't that the way my skewed perspective operates. Static...static...static...Holy shit I just remembered I have cancer. Now what?

While I have the time and energy to commit, I will try to extend myself, and help others. My buddy Doug came over today to drive Miss Daisy to Radiation. We again ran into a mechanical delay that pushed the appointment from 9am to 10:45am. Doug seemed to take the delay in stride, no panic, no big deal. He simply called his office to let them know he would be in after noon. No big deal to him, but a huge sacrifice to me. I recognize the inconvenience, the selflessness, the altruism, and I appreciate that there is no way to pay him back. I get it. I pay it to the next person. He enjoyed the tour of the facility. We got to spend some good time together. His car has 197,000 miles. He almost had me skypeing, and had promised to help me embed. As he was dropping me off, I thanked him, and he thanked me. I get it. I am one of his current events. I'm not national, or international, or intergalactic. I'm local which is exactly where most of my impact can be made.

Kevin Patrick Hopkins(8/14/84) has been sneaking into my Blogosphere from Banff, and embedding the musical selections. He and Beth can be thanked for this blog. He talked me through embedding once, and has realized that that first lesson didn't stick. Thank you son.

TJ Hopkins(12/1/82) prepared his victory acceptance speech 2 months ago for a half marathon he is running with his team on Saturday. The run is a fundraiser for the families of his fallen brothers. He and 2 others are running it in under 1hr 30min(that's under 7minutes/mile), the other 2 are under 1:40. He has assured me that he will be on television Sunday at the Women's World Cup Finals in Germany. Look for a bunch of extremely chiseled, well trained, underdressed, painted men(He's the ringleader.) Today I received a couple of packages, one of which was from TJ, the other from his grandparents. Suffice to say I'm running a little on the emotional side. The packages were opened between sobs of gratitude. Must have had a radiation leak. Where's my geiger counter? I am so proud of my sons.

Today's side effects minimal, but it's still early. Voice condition is good. Attitude is good.
YiPee Ky-Yay,(arguably the greatest one-liner in modern cinematography)

TJH

Today's song list which may or may not be embedded(Editor's note: KPH was always the better son):







1 comment:

  1. Hah...just read this one...it was my pleasure driving Mrs Daisey...plus, i needed something to slow me down and get away from the office, and I had a GREAT time hanging with you (although some of the pleasure may have been from that grande Americano).

    That machine was amazing and your interactions with that staff cracked me up. I bet they love it when you come in to brighten their day.

    See you next Thursday Tim.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete