Sunday, July 3, 2011

I'm well into my 54th year of life.7/3/11

     As I contemplate all of the wonderful birthday wishes I received, I can't help thinking a little bit about gratitude. Now many of you who know me are aware that I have always said that gratitude should be seen and not heard. Don't tell me your grateful, show me. An adverb, not an adjective. Here are some random observations, please don't be offended. You can make your own lists.

     I'd like to thank whoever came up with the Big Bang. That was just bloody brilliant. Partially because it was not big, and did not make noise.
     The immutable laws of nature. If i can exist without rubbing too hard against these, I'm in good shape. I especially want to put in a plug for gravity, which has been better since I've given up snow skiing. I also love the laws of optics. I find sight remarkable, and all the colors.

     The music, and lyrics. They somehow seem to go together so well. From Beethoven, to Rage Against the Machine. I appreciate the music of life.
     The little things, microorganisms, and cells, without which there would be no life. I hope that Erbatux, and radiation can kill the little cancer microbastards that have set up shop in my throat.
     The spotted owl, and baby seal...F the spotted owl and baby seal. There i said it. While I'm at it let me put in a plug for Global/regional warming. I don't like the cold weather. Gimme a/c and 110 over 3 feet of snow every day. And screw Congress, and most of our political representatives, Spineless amoebas (is that redundant?) who need term limits and public health insurance. OOPS i digress.
     Did I mention the sun, and the stars?
     The human element has made all the difference in my life. I've enjoyed music, and nature. The shooting stars, and sunsets (The sun does not actually set. It is stationary in our solar system, and we rotate on our axis, and around the sun). It has been the people who have given these experiences depth, and weight. The people who have shown me how to appreciate our environment. The people who have added love to the equation. The people who have taught me that smiling is a really inexpensive way to improve my looks. The people who gave me the latitude to laugh out loud (sometimes in seemingly inappropriate places). The people who have inspired, and redeemed me. The people who have shown me what God looks like, and how he would like me to behave. The people who I hurt, and disappointed, who have forgiven me. The people who have raised me up instead of putting me down, or worse, throwing me away to be ignored.
     You know who you are, and I thank you. I had a very Happy Birthday.

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated birthday Tim...I have you in my calendar now. I'd like to add I'm grateful for car washes after a crazy night of "Scorpion King"-like dust storms!

    ReplyDelete