Sunday, September 25, 2011

Thanks Mary Jo 9/25/11

   Today I had breakfast with mom, lunch with the ladies, and dinner with Bart,  Doug, and Frank. The appetite is not really back, but I remain motivated to eat. The salivary glands, and taste buds will return in due time. I have to do a better job taking in sustenance. I'm sure that 168lbs. is not my optimum weight. I am pretty sure a haircut with some special blending in the back, is on the agenda. Our guests raved about the designer ice cream from Breamer's in Cincy(thanks Julie and Paul). They said the pepper jack cheese was very spicy, but I couldn't tell. I didn't try the deviled eggs, but did have a decent sized soft taco, and a couple of buffalo wings. I didn't taste much.



   We had a nice visit with Shannon, Sarah, Maggie, and Kate. The ladies were buzzed on sugar, and we started telling some stories. Beth encouraged me to tell the "Pat O'Toole joke". Pat O'Toole is my cousin via marriage to my cousin Mary Jo. The joke was told at a family wedding for cousin Kevin and Heather Kilbane. Two generations were gathered at a large table, and my sister Noreen encouraged Pat to tell "the Joke". He wisely declined knowing that the joke was completely inappropriate for the mixed crowd. By mixed I mean old school hard line Catholics, and my generation. He knew that he shouldn't tell the joke in front of his Mother-in-law(my dear Aunt Mary), and certainly not in front of Billy, and Mary Kay Hagan. Another agitator suggested for Pat to tell the joke, and he was off to the races.Graham Parker – No Holding Back
 
   The joke is about a theme party where you come dressed as your favorite emotion. Please feel free to call Pat at (440)937-6003. When the dust settled my generation was howling, screaming, and pissing they're pants. The mixed crowd was catatonic, randomly making the sign of the cross, and praying for his eternal soul, which was most certainly going straight to hell. The memory of my sister's hysterical shriek is crystal clear. Thank You! I'm pleased to report that today's retelling of the joke was well received by the ladies, who shared a few of they're favorites. The Rolling Stones – Emotional Rescue

   I received a call from my brother Marty, who was working the sidelines at a CYO football game this afternoon. He bumped into an old friend Gil Ryan. I met Gil through Mary Jo. His picture may still be on Big Mare's basement wall. Marty put Gil on the phone, and we picked up right where we left off 30 years ago. Gil and I had a very good run in the 70's and early 80's. We busted each others chops immediately. It's not that he didn't care how I was doing, he already knew. He didn't have to ask, or suggest he was praying for me, I already knew. I was visiting family in Cleveland one time 6-8 years ago, and a complete stranger approached me and said "I know you". He wasn't sure exactly how, but was certain, and so we started to unravel the mystery. I assured him that I hadn't lived full time in Cleveland since 1973. I summered in Cleveland while attending OU in the late 70's. He was positive. He asked me if I had ever gone to the Rib Burn Off at Burke Lakefront Airport. Oh My God! He remembered his friend Gil and I doing quite a spectacular Soul Train line dance through the Rib Festival. I know a boom box was involved. Go ahead see it in your minds eye, two very happy, rhythmic white boys dancing through the crowd at Burke Lakefront Airport.  An instant classic.
Sly & The Family Stone – Dance To The Music,
Sly & The Family Stone – Stand
Grateful Dead – Truckin'
I had a very good day today, thank you God.
TJH
More of todays music
Graham Parker – Break Them Down
Graham Parker – Local Girls - Digitally Remastered 1996
The Grateful Dead – Terrapin Station Medley:
Graham Parker – Comfortably Numb
Jethro Tull – Locomotive Breath

No comments:

Post a Comment