Thursday, September 22, 2011

Take the Over 9/22/11

   I saw some friends this morning who reminded me again, just how fortunate I am. The fact that I live in a time where a protocol exists that will allow me to survive a formerly fatal disease is miraculous. I am reasonably certain that if my symptoms had shown up 30 years ago you would be reading someone else's blog.The Shins – New Slang

   The fact that people have been studying this disease, and applying their knowledge over time has provided me with a reason to remain optimistic. I have optimism without arrogance.  I didn't kick cancers ass. I have been given a daily reprieve today. Tomorrow may be a different story, but for today I have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. The mental recovery is sometimes more painful than the physical recovery. My mind has me running marathons with imaginary grandchildren. The Strokes – Someday

   My friend also reminded me that wanting to have this all behind me is not a substitute for walking through this process. I really need to put one foot in front of the other, and follow the directions from my physicians. I had been trying so hard to get in shape, and change my physical condition, that I was actually doing harm to my recovery. The Doctor reminded me on Monday that I was still in the acute recovery stage, and that my body is still breaking down. The Erbitux, and Radiation were continuing to attack my system, and would be for several weeks. He suggested I step away from a strenuous exercise regimen. I told him I was only walking 1 mile per day at a slow pace. He told me that if I continued to loose weight I would be looking at some difficult consequences. I hate difficult consequences. Bad Religion – Sorrow

   I appreciate the blogshots I've been receiving. The subtle anonymous phone calls, texts, and emails just wondering how I've been. "Haven't read anything from you in a while". "Just wanted to make sure you didn't need anything". "How come you quit writing"? Are you dead? Most people I know are very sensitive!

   When I was first diagnosed in May my friends really stepped forward in a big way. One of my buddies called to make certain his middle name was spelled right in my will. Another friend made a request for some quality neckwear.  A third friend mentioned that he'd always admired Beth.  I didn't hear anyone set an over/under, but let me just say for today.... "take the over".

Todays Playlist
– Men Without Hats - Safety Dance
Willie Nelson – Unchained Melody
The Kooks – Junk Of The Heart (Happy)
The Kooks – Naive
Your Loyal Serf,
TJH

1 comment:

  1. good Morning Tim, i am so happy to read about you, i was worry , because we did not hear from you in a long period.
    hope , really hope every day you getting better and better.
    God keeps blesing you!!!
    we send you a big Hug ,

    ReplyDelete