Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Good Role Models 9/12/11- 9/21/11

  I had a gremlin jump into my blogspot dashboard, and erase 2 quality blogs from my menu prior to publishing. I swear these were a couple of real gems that would have been candidates for some kind of blog Pulitzer. Pithy, insightful, and filled with hope. I can't for the life of me recall what I wrote, but I can assure you that it was brilliant. I found myself becoming resentful that my creation had been destroyed, and intentionally not writing. I am such an infant! Modest Mouse – Missed The Boat
   I am regularly reminded that I continue to recover. Last week I had some Ahi Tuna that I could almost actually taste(wasabi/horseradish sauce). This week I realized that my appetite is improving. I was able to get up each day this week, and do some exercise. I was able to enjoy some food, fellowship, and football with friends on Sunday.The Decemberists – Calamity Song
   I enjoyed hanging our American Flag this weekend. I'm also glad that when the storms came Saturday, and Sunday afternoon, I had the respect to take our flag down. I live in the greatest country in the history of civilization. I am proud to be an American, and am grateful for the blessings that we receive as Americans. I am also very aware of the responsibilities, and sacrifices that go along with being an American. TJ is currently deployed in an undisclosed location. May God continue to protect, and keep him in his care and custody. Grateful Dead – U.S. Blues
TJ is third from the left wearing the only sleeveless number 

   The week seems to be dragging. The recovery is not happening as fast as I would like. My energy level is drastically reduced, and I wear our very quickly. The doctor reminded me that I am in the acute recovery stage, and that this may last months. He assured me that I will have some recovery for years. Thanks, Doc. The wounds on my neck are steadily improving, just not fast enough for me. I've become aware of some other physical manifestations of my treatment. My skin color is ashen, and my skin tone seems to be less elastic. My hair is brittle, and seems to have stopped growing. My eyebrows look like they've been singed. I've got chicken legs. Other than these small side effects, I look like a million bucks.The Outlaws – Hurry Sundown - Digitally Remastered 2001 

   I would like to welcome a reader from Italy. I love Italy. I remember being in Florence on a hot summer day. The happy American tourist. The window was opened, and I was enjoying the bumper to bumper midday gridlock. A young man reached into the window of our cab, and grabbed my manly shoulder pouch. He pulled, I pulled back, we had a little tug of war, and I held on to the bag. He was walking to his next job and stopped to look at me from behind the car. He gave me an insulting non verbal hand gesture. I held up the bag and gave him a 1 fingered salute. Ahh Florence! I'm glad to know that there are people out there who stay connected. – Funiculi Funicular
   Through the process of writing I've been blessed to be in contact with so many old friends, and friends I haven't met yet. The world is getting smaller all the time. I'm finding comfort in hearing that I am being read in Naperville, Long Valley, and somewhere in Malaysia. Asian Traditional Music – Malaysia Melody A friend called this week, and asked if he could give my # to one of his guys who was going through treatment for cancer. My # is (480)242-7910 operators are standing by. The fact is that people connect. People connect me to the world. I have been lifted up during a seemingly bad time in my life. I have been given everything that I ever needed. Your collective Power has carried me. You people with various philosophies, religious beliefs, and spiritual leanings gave me the "bump" I needed, right when I needed bumping.Pete And The Pirates – Things That Go Bump
 My dear friend Roger Doyle passed away a year ago this week. He was one of the finest men I have ever known. He was a living example of the kind of man I would hope to become. It is good to have role models. He was put in my life at just the right time to help me change trajectory, and I will be forever grateful for his friendship. The same can be said for my friend Randy Howes, who ended his fight with pancreatic cancer on Sunday. May they, and all our dearly departed, rest in peace.
Roger C. Doyle

 Dropkick Murphys – The Wild Rover
The Outlaws – Green Grass & High Tides 
The Outlaws – (Ghost) Riders In The Sky - Digitally Remastered, 1996
Respectfully submitted,
TJH

No comments:

Post a Comment