Monday, October 24, 2011

Why do I need a PET Scan to decide if I feel OK? 10/24/11

   11/1/59-10/26/97(Nor)   Louis Armstrong – What A Wonderful World
   6/1/33-10/23/99(Nance)     Julie Andrews;Irwin Kostal – The Sound Of Music
   4/3/22-10/27/2002(Justin)  Petula Clark – Downtown - Petula Clark
   1/16/31-10/22/99(Chief)    Amazing Grace - Bagpipes

   Am I cynical, skeptical, suspicious? You bet I am. The truth is that my recovery is magnitudes better than it could be, but I remain hesitant to embrace the evidence. I want additional confirmation that the little microorganisms have been decimated. I want to see their lifeless entrails displayed on my Doctors View-Master. I've received nothing but optimistic reports from all of the professionals, but I'm not completely sold. You guys are sold, and I appreciate that, but...

   I have a ton of old stories in my head that keep flashing back.

   I see the Medical Oncologist today. He's kind of the ShotCaller. He'll let me know when it's OK to pull the tubes, and ports. He's the guy who all of the reports run through. A brilliant, but quirky little fellow. Reminds me of a 50 year old Einstein with the flyaway hair, and Jerry Garcia neckwear....

   Later that day...

   The little bastard threatened to put me on Ritalin, or Marinol(a THC derivative), if I continue to lose weight. Just what I need at 53, a medical marijuana card. 35 years ago I would have jumped for joy at the prospect, and be selling equity participation. I will not be intimidated by that yard gnome. He doesn't know who he's threatening. His child psychology always works on me. I'm so pathetic. Wait till I waddle back in there looking like Jabba the Hutt. He scheduled me for a full body PET Scan mid November. He also suggested that I get in to see the dermatologist to look at some of my irregular freckles. What irregular freckles? Thanks for giving me something else to worry about that wasn't even on the radar.

   I have the green light to start exercising. I have lost a good bit of muscle mass from my once chiseled physique. I now have these droopy bags of skin hanging under my biceps, and wrinkled droopy flesh on my thighs, and calfs. I am a vision.
Good thing I have my health.

Todays Playlist:
Steve Earle – The Galway Girl
The McCaffrey Folk Singers – Irish Rover
The Dubliners – The Rocky Road To Dublin - Live
Barleyjuice – Weekend Irish
Bette Midler – The Rose
Up the Irish,
TJH

No comments:

Post a Comment