Friday, June 10, 2011

6/7/11

Time flies when you don’t write. Spent 2 days prior to surgery getting an estate plan started. We were at the lawyers for 5 hours spread over 2 days. What a perfect distraction from the thoughts of surgery. We came out of the office w/ a new trust, wills, durable powers, living wills, and donor instructions. We still have a great deal of work to do, but the specter is not hanging over my head, and I am not afraid to take the action.

Surgery required an 11:45 report time for a 1:45 surgery at PV Hospital. Beth & I were about 35 minutes early, and were met in the entrance by my Aunt Mary Maloney. She flew out from Cleveland a day early, so that she could see me prior to surgery. She is truly a legend, and I love her. She is my Godmother, and gave direct reports back to family in Cleveland.

Beth was surrounded in the waiting room while I received the care of the 2 surgeons, and their staff for the next 4 hours. The surgical procedure seemed to go as drawn up. They didn’t have to transect my jugular, or the nerve that allows me to raise my left arm above shoulder level. Didn’t get into a hospital room until almost 10pm, thanks Obama care.

I felt pretty good first day out of surgery. I was hooked up to plenty of IV’s, and was getting stabilized. I knew I was getting plenty of liquids, but I became painfully aware that my bladder was incredibly full. I also vaguely remembered the catheter being removed sometime after surgery. Just a very vague recollection to be filed away. Until now! I had to Pee, and I had to Pee now! Holy S*** I can’t Pee! WTF!! I was well on my way to a full scale meltdown, w/ no spiritual solution. Somebody come in here w/ a can opener, and relieve this vessel before it’s too late! Then…just a few drops, and Holy S*** it hurts to Pee, I don’t want to Pee, I don’t have to Pee, I was just kidding. My life hung in the balance …To Pee, or not to Pee? That was the question. The rest of the Hospital time passed fairly uneventfully. Eating was very difficult, but they had some great chicken broth. We tried to walk 3 or 4 times a day around the recovery area. The staff was kind and quick to help. I did not rest well in the Hospital, but I recovered enough to be released on Monday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment