Friday, June 10, 2011

6/7/11

Spoke to a young man last night by the name of Jeff Brucker(62). He will be up in Phoenix for the next few months getting treatment for the same cancer I have. He lives in Tucson, and has a brother in Phoenix, not far from Mayo Clinic. He is facing surgery on Wednesday to remove Lymph nodes and part of his trachea. He will more than likely be on a feeding tube during his radiology. I am writing this in part to make sure that I remain grateful for the seemingly bad things in my life. I also want to commit to be as helpful as possible to this stranger, and I want to try and make sure that our community reaches out a hand to this newcomer. He will be at a meeting tonight at the home of Steve Leitz. I would like to attend, but have not broached the topic w/ Beth just yet. She has veto power, and is not afraid to use it.

Our Dr. called today to let us know that the pathology report confirmed that the cancer originated in my tonsils, and spread to my lymph nodes. We meet w/ him on Friday for the always fun staple removal procedure. My buddy Eddie actually had me turn my head and look away so that he could count the staples. He came up w/ 29; we’ll have to see the actual count. The really seemingly good news is that this cancer has not moved from the tonsils beyond the lymph nodes. Most of this information is flying at us so fast that we fail to fully comprehend the full meaning. I have been inundated w/ new terminology, and scenarios. Beth and I have tried to stay on the same page, but I must admit that she seems to be a few chapters ahead of me.

We had some friends over this afternoon, and enjoyed some delicious split pea soup. We also shared a few quiet moments, some laughs, and some experience, strength and hope. The feeling of friendship is powerful, and yet immeasurable. I am choosing to tap into that power for some additional strength that I may need going forward.

          We made an appointment w/ our new oncologist set for tomorrow afternoon at 3pm in Scottsdale, near Via de Ventura, and the 101. Our understanding is that the protocol for this type of cancer involves treatments 5 days/week, for 6 weeks. The Doctors office is in Scottsdale, and they have a satellite radiology location in Gilbert.

          After the oncologist appointment some friends are bringing me dinner and a meeting. Edie and some of the fellas are going to take the 2 mattresses, and the elliptical, and the treadmill over to Eddies garage for some short term storage, in anticipation of a visit from Kevin and Terry on Thursday. Life continues to unfold into goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment