Tuesday, November 29, 2011

11/2/11-11/8/11

Adam Ant – Goody Two Shoes
Buddy Holly – Everyday

   I spent a quiet weekend at The Holy Trinity Monastery, a Benedictine Community in Southeastern ... The net result was an appreciation for the gifts I have received, and for the ability to connect. I walked in nature on Saturday morning before dawn. The walk allowed me some insight. The sky was moonless, and I was given access to a spectacular view of the heavens. Orion, Taurus, and the 7 Sisters were showing off. There were shooting stars, satellites, and Jupiter was very distinct. The wind blew through the cottonwoods creating an incredible musical backdrop.  My recent illness had put me in a position to withdraw from many of the day-to-day activities I enjoyed. The normal interactions that I came to take for granted, were replaced with a medical protocol to be endured. Not today! FYI PET Scan Monday at 6:30AM. Not today!

   The monastery is inhabited by a few dozen peacocks, and peahens. They walk around during the day and are beautiful. They are a large flightless bird that can do some serious flapping, and are world class jumpers. I recommend avoiding disturbing them when they are sleeping. They have a terrifying scream, that will wake the dead, and ruin your meditative walk. 
   
   The ability to connect is something special. The ability to not be separated.  The opportunity to let people in, and to welcome interaction, has been missing. I've been so myopic, and so focused, that I nearly wound up cross-eyed. I have spent enough time with my nose stuck in my naval to know that the view is lousy. Getting outside myself is not always my strong suit, especially when I am given a socially acceptable excuse. Cancer...Oh you poor man! Yes...Let me tell you all about it. When you get tired of yourself, you can be sure that others have been worn out much earlier.

   Time for others, time to give back, time to show my gratitude, not talk about gratitude. Get my wife a cup of coffee. Offer to listen to a friend. Encourage a new resident to join me for breakfast. Welcome strangers, and give access to the outsider. Just as I was welcomed, listened to, and encouraged.  

Todays Playlist:

Feeling much better,
TJH

1 comment: